Hormones play vital roles in the body, regulating major chemical processes and functions such as growth and development, body temperature, metabolism, heart rate, sleep cycle, moods, reproductive cycles, sleep patterns, sexual functions, and more. Testosterone imbalance is experienced in men alone. Both men and women can be affected by an imbalance in the hormonal regulation such as the activities of insulin, growth hormone, steroids, and adrenaline supply. However, only women experience imbalances in progesterone and estrogen levels.
What is the hormonal imbalance? The body comprises of different hormones and they perform several functions when there is an excess of a hormone or minimal production it becomes an imbalance of hormones. Many times, people are diagnosed with this deficiency and this is often preceded by a kind of ailment that may need medical attention. The hormones are chemical agents that are produced in the endocrine glands and they move around the bloodstream supplying tissues around the body with vital chemicals that regulate organs around the body.
Throughout the study of hormonal imbalance, it has been found to occur most times when they are shortages of chemical hormones. For instance, the two major hormones in the female body are estrogen and progesterone and a balanced amount of both are required in order for their system to function properly.
Hormonal imbalance in the female is very common because women experience more forms of body changes as a result of several factors. The statistics of women experiencing some form of hormonal imbalance in women is about 80%.
General symptoms of hormonal imbalance
At some point someone may ask “do I have a hormonal imbalance?” there are ways to find out if one has got a hormonal imbalance of any kind. Symptoms associated with hormonal imbalances include:
- Changes in blood pressure
- Sudden weight gain and weight loss
- Weak bones
- Long-term fatigue
- Excessive sweating
- Breast tenderness
- Fluctuations in appetite
- Reduced sex drive
- A bulge in the neck
General causes of hormonal imbalance
Endocrine glands are special cells that specifically produce, store, and distribute hormones in the blood. The malfunctioning of the endocrine gland leads to hormonal imbalance. Endocrine glands are distributed all over the body where they control various organs, these include:
- Hypothalamus gland
- Pancreatic gland
- Adrenal gland
- Pineal gland
- Thyroid gland
- Gonads (ovaries and testis)
- Pituitary gland
There are many factors that may affect the endocrine glands, leading to a malfunction in its efficiency. These factors may be medical, environmental, or connected to a specific lifestyle. Here are some causes of hormonal imbalance:
- Over-active or under-active thyroid gland (hyper and hypothyroidism)
- Type1 and type 2 diabetes
- Birth control medications
- Pituitary tremors
- Poor diet and nutrition
- Abuse of steroid drugs
- Radiation and chemotherapy
- Cancers that involve endocrine glands
- Low levels of aldosterone and cortisol
- Severe allergies
- Exposure to harmful toxic chemicals and pollutants
- Prader-willi syndrome
Hormonal imbalances in men
What causes hormonal imbalance in men? The truth is, men also experience hormonal imbalances and some are due to natural causes while some are medical.
Natural causes: aging and puberty
Medical conditions: low testosterone (hypogonadism) and prostate cancer
Symptoms of hormonal balance in men
- Low sperm count
- Erectile dysfunction
- Reduction in body hair growth
- Reduced muscle mass
- Low sex drive
Causes of hormonal imbalance in females
- A major cause of hormonal imbalance in the female is a fluctuation of sex hormones responsible for menstruation and ovulation.
- As a result of pregnancy, there will be a major change in the body system, thereby triggering different hormones.
- When a woman has reached the age of menopause, she will experience a change in body hormones
- Stress has been known to alter the hormones in the body, for example, cortisol is a hormone secreted by the adrenal glands that is why one needs some form of stress management.
Signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance in females
There are major symptoms of hormonal imbalance in females such as
- Hair loss
- Mood swing
- Blood sugar irregularities
When the androgen level rises, it enhances the process of higher sebum production which changes the skin cell activities which will lead to acne, also referred to as hormonal imbalance acne. To treat hormonal imbalance, there are several hormonal imbalance injections that can be effective to reduce the over secretion of hormones by the body.
Natural cures for hormonal imbalance in female
When females have a hormonal imbalance and there are several natural ways to tackle this syndrome, Apart from the medical ways to help hormonal imbalance, there are various natural hormonal imbalance remedies that can be used such as:
- Eating lots of protein at every meal can help minimize the effect of hormonal changes
- Regular exercises are a great remedy as blood circulation will be enhanced and the body will work better afterward
- One should not consume foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates as it would increase the risk of having a high blood sugar level
- Stress is one major cause of hormonal imbalance so one should try to manage stress.
- Avoid overeating and also under-eating to avoid health complications.
- consuming healthy fats like foods high in natural fats which will decrease insulin resistance and appetite
- Also, drinking green tea is a healthy beverage as it helps to build metabolism and acts as an antioxidant. Another health benefit of green tea is that it increases insulin sensitivity.
- Consuming fatty fish in your diet, which has anti-inflammatory properties can help check hormonal imbalance.
- Getting enough quality sleep can help adjust the body system to function properly as it is seen that poor sleep can lead to the imbalance of certain hormones such as insulin, cortisol, leptin and so on.
- Hydrating oneself and drinking hormonal imbalance drinks like apple cider vinegar daily will help to keep your hormones balanced.
Medical cures for hormonal imbalance in females
Some medications that can be used to treat hormonal imbalance include eflornithine and clomiphene all these can help regulate hormonal imbalance in females.
Many women who are pregnant may complain of certain symptoms of hormonal imbalances. Hormonal imbalances during pregnancy are common as for pregnancy to occur, one must ovulate and ovulation brings about hormonal changes in the body.
Causes of hormonal imbalances in pregnancy
Many times during pregnancy it is normal for a woman to have some form of chemical imbalances but some common fertility issues are linked to imbalances which can be ovulatory dysfunction and polycystic ovary syndrome. Other causes of hormonal imbalance can be a result of the hormone progesterone which helps to thicken the uterine lining which will give support to the embryo.
Signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance in pregnancy
Some signs of hormonal imbalance in pregnancy are extreme mood changes, development of facial hairs and acne.
Natural cures for hormonal imbalance in pregnancy
During pregnancy, there are simple ways to handle hormonal changes some of which are good nutritious diets and several lifestyle changes such as smoking, drinking and getting more sleep and exercise will balance your hormone.
Medical cures for hormonal imbalance in pregnancy
There are anti-androgen medications that are available, also, thyroid hormone therapy is a medical way to cure hormonal imbalance. These various ways to treat hormonal imbalances for women will generally help when they are pregnant and ensure a healthy lifestyle.
When trying to detect whether one has hormonal increase or decrease, there are hormonal imbalance tests that one can use, the most common method is the use of blood test which will help to detect the testosterone, estrogen, cortisol and thyroid level. Another method that can be used is the salivation test.
It is, however, a cause of concern when one does not detect hormonal imbalance, for instance, in women, hormonal imbalance and menstruation can be a worrying factor, in that an imbalance of female hormones can cause irregularities in both menstrual period and cycle. The hormones estrogen and progesterone regulate the menstrual cycle, in the event of a change in these hormones, it will definitely cause a problem like alterations in a woman’s monthly cycle and this will have an impact in her fertility.
Generally, there are several natural and medical remedies to treat hormonal imbalances which will go a long way to ensure that the symptoms of hormonal imbalances are reduced to the barest minimum.