Hemorrhoid is best described as swollen veins around the rectum and anus usually caused by the swelling of the blood vessels. Sometimes, the walls of the blood vessels stretch so thin and give discomfort and irritation, especially when one defecates. According to statistics millions of people live with hemorrhoids, both men and women and many are exposed to it daily. However, Hemorrhoid treatment is possible.
Apart from the discomfort, it also comes with bleeding. Many times, hemorrhoids occur when there is a strain during bowel movements or even when one is obese. Hemorrhoids, if not handled well, can become a pain in the ass literally.
Hemorrhoid tissues are not really visible, the first swell and become inflamed or develop a clot for it to be seen, it appears as a lump at the anal verge and is dark bluish in color because of the blood clot. During bowel movements, hemorrhoids can bleed when passing a really hard stool, in some instances, hemorrhoid can burst when it becomes really full, resulting in bleeding.
There are two types of hemorrhoids, internal and external hemorrhoids and these two kinds of hemorrhoids can actually bleed. However, it generally has four classifications that are differentiated by grades.
The Grade 1 type of hemorrhoids is slightly enlarged but cannot be seen from outside the anus. The Grade 2 type of hemorrhoids are larger than grade 1 hemorrhoids and can be seen from outside the anus at times but they can eventually go back in on their own. The Grade 3 type of hemorrhoid comes out when stooling and can only go back in when it is pushed back, while the Grade 4 type of hemorrhoids is always outside the anus and can no longer be pushed back except through surgery.
What causes hemorrhoids?
External hemorrhoids occur when there is continuous straining while having a bowel movement and this becomes visible as they are easily seen beneath the skin that surrounds the anus. External hemorrhoids can be treated depending on its severity.
Some of our actions can trigger hemorrhoids like obesity and excessive lifestyle, some natural remedy for hemorrhoids can include lifestyle changes just like weight loss, dieting, low carbohydrate, and low-fat diet, most times one can even see a behavioral therapist. When all the changes in lifestyle have been effected, it will enhance a lasting treatment for hemorrhoids naturally.
A bleeding hemorrhoid is obviously a sign of irritation or damage; however, the bleeding can sometimes stop on its own over time. A few tips on how to cure bleeding hemorrhoids include having daily a sitz bath several times a day for at least 15 – 20 minutes especially after a bowel movement. Most people prefer to use Aloe Vera which has anti-inflammatory properties. Another remedy that has been used for external hemorrhoids is tea tree oil, which like Aloe Vera has anti-inflammatory properties.
Who is at risk of getting Hemorrhoids?
There are many conditions that expose a person to hemorrhoids. These set of individuals are at risk of getting Hemorrhoids:
- Experience strain during bowel movement
- If one is pregnant
- If one is older than 50
- Lifting of heavy objects
- sitting on the toilet seat for extended periods
- Those with chronic diarrhea and constipation
Hemorrhoids treatments can be classified into both natural and medical treatment. Here are some quick remedies for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid Treatment and Remedies
- Take a warm bath/sitz bath – this means soaking your anal area into a few inches of warm water. Adding salt to the water can give extra relief to the hemorrhoids.
- Use moist wipes – make use of moist wipes in place of toilet paper as toilet paper can be rough to the external hemorrhoids.
- Use cold packs – wrap a cold pack in a towel and sit on it for between 15 – 20 minutes.
The above tips can give immediate relief to external hemorrhoids; however, you might need to undergo some treatment in order to completely cure it. The following are some great diets for hemorrhoids treatments:
Diets for Hemorrhoid Treatment
- Eating fermented foods like pastured yogurts can provide healthy bacteria for normal bowel movements. fermented products improve intestinal tracts. It modifies gut PH and aids digestion.
- Limit alcohol and spicy foods – it is a fact that taking too much alcohol causes dehydration and isn’t good for the digestive system also eating too much of spicy foods can really intensify the symptoms of hemorrhoids. Reducing your consumption of alcohol and spicy food or keeping off can give you some relief from hemorrhoids.
- Prevent constipation – it is known that constipation causes one to strain thereby increasing the pain and inflammation of hemorrhoids, so to avoid this, it is advised to drink plenty of fluids and also engage in physical activities.
- Clean thoroughly, practice good and regular hygiene after a bowel movement. If the stool is left behind it can aggravate hemorrhoids. Also, do not wipe yourself too roughly to avoid more inflammation, use clean water to wash off and wipe yourself afterward.
- Make sure you also indulge in plenty of exercises, and most importantly, do not strain during a bowel movement.
All these are useful tips on how to cure external hemorrhoids, make it a daily practice to further prevent it in the future. In general, hemorrhoids are conditions that are though alarming, can be treated and prevented even without medical solutions by having a good and healthy lifestyle and having adequate knowledge of the many natural ways to treat it.